The family tree of Jane Austen
- William Austen born in 1701-1737 married Rebecca Walter née Hampson.
- 2nd generation: Philadephia Hancock née Austen born in 1730-1792 wife of Tysoe Saul Hancock died in 1775.
- 3rd generation: Jean Capot de Feuillide, guillotined in 1794 first husband of Eliza.
- Reverend George Austen, 1731-1805 wife Cassandra Austen née Leigh 1739-1827.
- Leonora Austen, 1732-1783.
- Reverend James Austen,1765-1819 ,
- George Austen, 1766-1838
- Edward Austen, 1767-1852
- Henry Austen, 1771-1850 second husband of Eliza.
- 4th generation: Cassandra Austen, 1773-1845
- Francis Austen, 1774-1865
- Jane Austen, 1775-1817
- Charles Austen, 1779-1852
- Rev James: wife Anne née Matthew daughter Anna born in 1793,
- second wife Mary Llyod Rev James Edward Austen Leigh 1798-1874, Caroline Mary 1805-880
- Edward Knight; wife Elizabeth née Bridges daughter Fanny 1793-1882, Edward 1794-1879, George 1795-1867, Henry 1797-1843, William 1798-1873, Elizabeth 1800-1884, Marianne 1801-1896, Charles, 1803-1867, Louisa, 1804-1889, Cassandra Jane, 1809-1842, Brook John, 1808-1878
- sir Francis wife: Mary née Gibson, Mary Jane Austen 1807-1836 , Francis William Austen 1809-1858, Henry Edgar Austen 1811-1854, George Austen 1812-1903, Cassandra Eliza Austen 1814-1849 , Herbert Grey 1815-1888, Elizabeth Austen 1817-1830, Catherine Anne Austen 1818-1877, Edward Thomas Austen 1820-1908, Frances Sophia Austen 1821-1904, Cholmely Austen 1823-1824
- Charles first wife Frances née Palmer, Cassandra Esten 1808-1897, Harriet Jane Austen 1810-1865, Frances Palmer 1812-1888, Elizabeth second wife ; Harriet née Palmer Charles John Austen 1821-1867 , George Austen 1822-1824, Jane Austen 1824-1825, Henry Austen 1826-1851
The interesting thing worth noting is that is seems plausible that Miss Austen named her characters, heroes and heroines from her relatives. For instance Edward was the name of one of the main characters in Sense and Sensibility for the older Mr Ferrars as well as in Pride and Prejudice for Mr Gardiner. The version Edmund was used for Mr Bertram in Mansfield Park. George was a name used in Pride and Prejudice for the antagonist Mr Wickham as well as for Mr Knightley however the female version Georgiana was used for Mr Darcy’s sister in Pride and Prejudice as well .
Henry was the name used for Mr Woodhouse the father of Emma and for Mr Tilney in Northanger Abbey but also for the father of the Dashwood’s in Sense and Sensibility as well as for Mr Crawford in Mansfield Park and and the minor character and son of Mr Dashwood was called Harry possibly a nickname of Henry. William was the name of Mr Collins , the male cousin of Mr Bennet in Pride and Prejudice but also for the minor character Mr Elliot in Mansfield Park as well as for Mr Price in Mansfield Park. John seems to have been prefered name for male characters in Sense and Sensibility since Mr Willoughby was called this as well as sir Middleton a cousin to Mrs Dashwood but also for the minor character Mr Knightley in Emma and for the minor character of Mr Yates in Mansfield Park and possibly the namre for Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility. Charles was the name used in Pride and Prejudice for Mr Bingley and for Mr Musgrove in Persuasion. The name Thomas and Tom was used for Mr Palmer in Sense and Sensibility and for Mr Bertram from Mansfield Park.
Anne or Ann was used in Sense and Sensibility for the minor character of the older Miss Steel as well for the female herione of Miss Elliot in Persuasion and for the minor character Miss de Bourgh in Pride and Prejudice. Caroline was used in Pride and Prejudice for Miss Bingley the younger sister of Mr Bingley in Pride and Prejudice whereas the name Charlotte was used in Sense and Sensibility for the minor character Mrs Palmer as well as for Lady Charlotte Lukas in Pride and Prejudice. The name Fanny was used for the antagonist Mrs Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility but also for the heroine Miss Price in Mansfield Park whose mother Mrs Price is believed to have been named Frances.
The name Eliza was used twice in Sense and Sensibility for Miss Williams and Mrs Brandon but also in Pride and Prejudice as a name for Miss Bennet one of the Bennet sisters as well as for minor character of Miss Elliot in Persuasion. Marianne was used as the name of one of the female heroines in Sense and Sensibility Miss Dashwood. The name Louisa was used in Pride and Prejudice for Mr Bingley’s older sister Mrs Hurst and the version Lucy in Sense and Sensibility for the minor character Miss Steel in Sense and Sensibility. Mary was frequently used by Austen in Pride and Prejudice it was the name for Miss Bennet and for Miss Musgrove in Persuasion. Margaret was used in Sense and Sensibility for the youngest Miss Dashwood.
Catherine was used for the antagonist Lady de Bourgh in Pride and Prejudice and also for Miss Bennet as well as for Miss Morland in Northanger Abbey. Jane was the name of Miss Bennet the oldest sister in Pride and Prejudice and also for Miss Fairfax in Emma. The other version Julia was only used once in Mansfield Park for Miss Bertram. Eleanor another version of name Leonore was used for the oldest Miss Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility. The name Harriet was used for Miss Smith in Emma and the version Henrietta was used in Persuasion for Miss Musgrove. Sophia was used for the minor characters Miss Grey in Sense and Sensibility.
The surname Knightley used for the hero in Emma is supposedly from Jane’s brother Edward Knight.
Jane Austen was engaged to be married to Mr Harris Biggs-Wither it is to this date the only known marrriage suit for Miss Austen. Should she have decided to actually marry him and become Mrs Biggs-Wither it would supposedly have been a marriage of convinience rather than love since the union offered many practical benefits and improvements for Miss Austen.